There are a series of rigging fundamental questions to be answered prior to beginning any load lifting activities.
Individuals assigned to various load lifting tasks should, at a minimum, understand basic rigging fundamentals before utilizing hardware such as shackles, hooks, links, rings, wire rope, blocks, and slings. Knowledge of these fundamentals is critical to ensuring that safe lifting practices are implemented.
- Fundamentals; Key Questions for Hardware and Slings
- Has a rigging plan been developed?
- What is the rigging classification (I -IV)?
- Equipment, inspection, and utilization
- Responsibility Matrix; Who is responsible for rigging and lifting activities?
- Has a communication plan been established (Hand signal basics)?
- Knowledge of the proper use and inspection of lifting equipment
- Unusual environment and special concerns